How much was your last electrical bill? Every homeowner would love to give less of their paycheck to the utility company. Take some simple steps to reduce your use of electrical service in Kentucky and keep more money in your account. Here’s how.
- Our easy access to technology often makes us miss out on cheaper solutions. Do you have any south-facing windows? These can illuminate 20 to 100 times their area. Use natural lighting whenever possible.
- If a bulb shines and no one’s there to see it, does it still cost electricity? Yes. Turn off unnecessary lights. Make it a habit to hit that light switch when you leave a room.
- Are you working on a project at a desk? Enjoying your hobby at a table? Try using smaller table lamps rather than large overhead lighting.
There’s a load of ways to save electricity in the laundry room. Try these tips:
- Run full loads only
- Wash laundry in cold
- Hang dry your laundry
- Toss a towel in the dryer (it reduces drying times!)
Your kitchen appliances are major sources of electricity use. Take a few steps to decrease their usage and increase their efficiency.
- Refrigerator: Keep your fridge at its ideal temperature for most efficient operations – between 35 and 38°F. Are you running a second fridge? Consider ditching it and using a cooler when you need additional storage.
- Dishwasher: The heat-dry option on your dishwasher is pricey. Skip this setting to save electricity.
- Oven: Avoid using this on hot days. This will save on your air conditioning use. Year-round, try to use a microwave, crock pot or toaster oven when you can. These take a lot less time to get the heating job done.
Reducing your hot water usage can be a big electricity saver.
- Try taking shorter showers.
- Turn off the water while you shave, scrub your hands or brush your teeth.
- If you have any leaky faucets, fix those right away.
- Whole House
Making a few small adjustments to your home’s surroundings can have a huge impact on your electrical bill.
- Thermostat: Lower your setting by two degrees to save 5% on your heating bill. Lower it five degrees and save 10%.
- Window coverings: Be strategic about opening and closing windows. Blocking afternoon sun and encouraging good airflow can save a lot on cooling costs.
- Water heater: Check your water heater thermostat settings. Try turning it down a bit to save water heating costs.
- Electronics: How many electronics sit unused but plugged in throughout your home? Standby power accounts for up to 10% of an average household’s electricity use. Unplug those unused electronics!
Is your home’s electrical service up to date? Are your lighting, wiring and other services as efficient as they could be? The professionals at CDI Electric Inc. can assist you with updates, installations or repairs for your electrical service. We provide the knowledge, skills and experience to save you money and ensure your electrical service in Kentucky meets the highest standards for safety and efficiency.
Contact CDI Electric Inc. today at 859-291-9189 for industry-leading service to complete all your electrical projects.